Here’s your intro to the Equal Rights Amendment, and it’s gonna hurt. In the United States of America, according to the constitution, women are not considered equal to men. How about them apples?
Even more shocking is that polls show only 6% of the population is even aware of it.
More people know the intimate details of what the Kardashians eat for lunch, than understand that 51% (women) of our population is not on equal constitutional footing with the other 49% (men).
How does this happen?
Well, I imagine our parents didn’t tell us, because they thought it would hurt our self esteem.
And our public school system didn’t tell us, because the curriculum sucks and was written mainly by men.
I imagine our media hasn’t told us, because well hey, someone has to get the word out about Kim Kardashian’s favorite salad.
The whole idea is a bummer. We aren’t equal? That’s no fun. So we don’t talk about it, and more importantly, it doesn’t get changed.
I’d rank it up there with one of the biggest hoodoos ever hoodoo’ed on the American public.
As little girls, they tell us we can be anything we want to be. They do not tell us that the exception is equal according to our cornerstone document.
They tell us there are laws, and rules, and regulations that guarantee our equality. It’s never clarified that laws can be changed with a simple stroke of a pen or can come as consequences of a few bad elections. Neither are we informed that the patchwork of legislation protecting women varies widely depending on where we live. If you live in California, you’re protected in a way you simply are not in Alabama.
We are told we are equal, protected even, but we are not. Not in a way that’s solid and secure. Not in the way the constitution should declare it.
For right now, I want you to sit on the fact that women are not considered equal to men according to the most important government document we have, in the United States, in the year 2019.
I want you interested.
I want you to forward this to your friends, husbands, and families and say….WTF?
Then feel the injustice and the bizarreness that it’s true.
Google it and make sure that it’s true because it sounds so outlandish.
Then stand aghast that you didn’t know the status of women’s rights in America.
Begin to slowly simmer.
And learn, and unlearn, and tell people. It’s the only way we change it. If you want to learn more, I highly recommend the documentary Equal Means Equal. Find it on the interwebs. You should know this.
P.S. Here are the words to the Equal Rights Amendment. Super cool, extra points if you memorize. It’s pretty basic stuff.
Women shall have equal rights in the United States and every place subject to its jurisdiction. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.